Cow's dairy doesn't agree with everyone to say the least. In fact, it's one of the most common food allergies (1) causing a number of health concerns including digestive upset, eczema, and chronic sinusitis. Unfortunately store bought nut milks can taste a little off with all the additives, and some of these might be better off avoided, take for example carrageenan - in which the safety research isn't quite conclusive.
THE GOOD NEWS - 10 Minute, 3 Ingredient, Delicious Coconut Milk!
Homemade nut milks are unbelievably delicious and so easy to make. Coconut milk in particular is extra fast; you don't need to soak the coconut shavings before hand as with required with other nut milks.
Below is a super simple and fast vanilla or chocolate coconut milk recipe you'll LOVE! Enjoy by the glass, or use in recipes like hot oatmeal and chia seed pudding.
What you'll need:
- nut milk bag, cheese cloth, or cotton cloth.
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut shavings.
- 3-4 cups filtered water (less water for richer milk!)
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1/2tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- 1tbsp maple syrup or one pitted date (optional)
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder (for chocolate milk option)
- Add coconut shavings, 3 cups water, pinch of salt and the optional sweeteners and additions to the blender
- Blend on high for 2 minutes
- Sample a spoonful and add additional sweeteners or cocao if desired. Add the 4th cup depending on the desired richness; if you like a creamier milk, you can leave out the 4th cup of water.
- Strain and enjoy!
- Keep remainder in a sealed glass jar in your fridge and it will last for about 5 days. It will separate naturally so shake vigorously before enjoying.
- Valenta, Rudolf, et al. "Food allergies: the basics." Gastroenterology 148.6 (2015): 1120-1131.